Thursday, January 20, 2011

Tis the Season

Next up...seasonal foods.

Spent a bit of time putting lists of what is seasonal onto our kitchen calendar. The rules are as such...

1) if it's growing in our space we can eat it whenever
2) if it's proven to be local we can eat it whenever
3) if it's not local it needs to be in season
4) if it's not in season there needs to be a damn good reason to get it

Unfortunately I found today that February and March are the most barren of all of the months for seasonal foods - even here in the Northwest. We have such great timing when it comes to these things. That said, I am looking forward to getting into new recipes and new ingredients. I take it more as a challenge and a game than going without, though I WILL miss eating peppers all the time.

Foods that are ALWAYS in season (or keep long enough for them to be available all year round) - potatoes, garlic, fennel (have to learn what to do with that) and apples.


Found this chart on the Guardian website...made me feel a bit nostalgic for my London days. Glad though that the chart for the PNW is even more extensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment